On 3rd August, 1997 the “Thiruthangal Nadar College” for men was started as an Arts and Science College with Dr. A.P. Kamalakara Rao as the founder Principal. The total constructed area of the college is about 1,00,000 Sq.Ft.
The college functions as a Self-Financing Institution without any grant or aid or subsidies from the Government for its maintenance. The fee collected from the students is comparatively lesser than the Government prescribed fee. There is no collection of donation or other kinds of receipts from the parents. Compared to other self-financing Colleges, the College teachers are paid a decent salary. Thiruthangal Nadar College has become a Co-Educational Institution from the academic year 2002-2003. Additional facilities are provided for the women students.
The College has been functioning to cater to the needs of a backward area purely with an altruistic ideal of providing higher education at a moderate cost without any discrimination of caste or creed.
At this juncture it would be no exaggeration to state that the committed services of the Executive Committee Members of Chennaivazh Thiruthangal Hindu Nadar Uravinmurai Dharma Fund are in line with the dedication and dynamic leadership of the Secretary Thiru. S.M. Subbiah whose efforts complimented and led to the incredible progress of Thiruthangal Nadar College. In the second chapter of the history of Chennaivazh Thiruthangal Hindu Nadar Uravinmurai Dharma Fund, the whole-hearted commitment of the Executive Committee Members and the Secretary Thiru. S.M.Subbiah should be engraved in golden letters.
At present the college runs with a team of 87 faculty, and the contingent of 2372 students (1140 boys and 1232 girls).
NEWS AND EVENTS
Thiruthangal, a Municipality Township in Virudhunagar District is located 62 kilometres south of Madurai, very close to Sivakasi, a town well known for safety matches, fire works and printing units.